- Only a user with the
cluster-adminKubernetes default role assigned can configure and install Istio in a Kubernetes cluster.
- If you have pod security policies, you will need to install Istio with the CNI enabled. For details, see this section.
- To install Istio on an RKE2 cluster, additional steps are required. For details, see this section.
- To install Istio in a cluster where project network isolation is enabled, additional steps are required. For details, see this section.
- Click ☰ > Cluster Management.
- Go to the where you want to enable Istio and click Explore.
- Click Apps & Marketplace.
- Click Charts.
- Click Istio.
- If you have not already installed your own monitoring app, you will be prompted to install the rancher-monitoring app. Optional: Set your Selector or Scrape config options on rancher-monitoring app install.
- Optional: Configure member access and resource limits for the Istio components. Ensure you have enough resources on your worker nodes to enable Istio.
- Optional: Make additional configuration changes to values.yaml if needed.
- Optional: Add additional resources or configuration via the overlay file.
- Click Install.
Result: Istio is installed at the cluster level.
Additional Config Options
For more information on configuring Istio, refer to the configuration reference.